Over my many years of
marriage I have learned the importance of a couple counseling together, even if
it is just talking. I have experienced what happens when you don’t talk, and I
know the blessing of truly working together in making decisions that benefit
both my husband and me. I agree with Elder Craven’s words about the meeting of
the Quorum of the Twelve: “They strive to feel the manifestations of the Spirit
concerning the item being discussed, which may necessitate a change in their
own feelings and thought in order to be in harmony with the entire Council” (Called to the Work, 111-13.). Letting discussion continue until there is a
consensus, not a compromise, is the best counsel for any couple. How many times
do we feel like we have to give in to keep the peace, or we feel our thoughts
and feelings are not being heard and we just stop participating in the
discussion.
I interviewed one of my
sisters-in-law for the parenting activity, and the concept that she said kept
her marriage strong after the birth of her first child was that she and her
husband counseled or talked about the change in their relationship and their
needs. Instead of her husband feeling left out and perhaps even angry as so
much of her attention was turned toward the baby, he talked to her about his
feelings, and she worked harder to include him in the experience of having a
new born, and also made sure that the intimate relationship they had before the
baby came was nurtured as well. She talked with him as well about the changes
that she was experiencing and together they learned how to go from a couple to
a family of three. I feel they are as Elder L. Tom Perry said, “They are united
together in word, in deed, and in action as they lead, guide, and direct their
family unit” (Ensign, May 2004 p.
71).

No comments:
Post a Comment