The in-law, extended
family situation has always been interesting to me. I have only one brother and
I married into a family of 8 children. My parents were divorced and my mother,
brother and I lived with my grandparents who helped raise me while my mother
taught school. My husband grew up with a domineering Italian Catholic father
and a mother who was a member of our Church. Because of these totally different
backgrounds, it was quite a challenge for me to feel comfortable around my
husband’s family. I always felt lucky that we didn’t live near them during the
first part of our marriage, but now I understand that perhaps I could have made
a better connection with them if I had been around them more. Unfortunately,
when we were with the family it was easy for my husband to fall back into his
position as son and brother and I never felt that we were considered to be a
new family of our own.
There is only one girl in
my husband’s family and her husband has had the challenge of integrating with
her brothers. He and I have always had a joke that we aren’t the in-laws, we
are the out-laws, because he seemed to feel as out of place as I did. Now my
husband and I live in the same town as 5 of his siblings and their families and
we have managed to sort out the relationships and I feel very blessed to have
some of them in my life.
I tried to keep all of
this in mind as my children married because I wanted to have a better
relationship with their spouses than I did with my mother and father in-law. Again,
they come from different backgrounds and religions, or lack of religion, but
rather than see this as a negative thing I appreciate what they add to our
family.

No comments:
Post a Comment