If you have taken the
subway, or underground, in London you are familiar with a voice telling you to
“mind the gap,” which is a warning to be aware of the space between the train
and the platform. If you are not careful you can lose your footing as you step
on or off the train.
Last night one of the
Horsemen came galloping into my relationship with my husband. I enjoy
decorating my house for fall and have little lights wrapped around some of the
decorations. As we were going to bed I
told my husband that the lights were on timers so they would go off on their
own. He said, “well, I guess they aren’t using too much electricity.” I immediately became defensive and stomped
around the house turning the lights off—until I remembered they were battery
operated and were not using any electricity at all!
From this silly incident
I was reminded how easy it is to respond negatively and how important it is to
respond with love. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said in the 2007 General Conference
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “The most cherished and
sacred moments of our lives are those filled with the spirit of love. The
greater the measure of our love, the greater is our joy. In the end, the
development of such love is the true measure of success in life” (The Great Commandment).
What can you do to “mind
the gap” in your relationships so you don’t lose your footing? What can you do
to have the kind of successful life that Elder Wirthlin speaks of?


No comments:
Post a Comment