Another hard change for some was the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage. As an assignment for a marriage class I am taking from Brigham Young University-Idaho I reviewed the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage. These are my thoughts:
Justice Anthony Kennedy of the majority opinion gave four reasons why the fundamental right to marry applies to same-sex couples: (1) The right to personal choice regarding marriage is inherent in the concept of individual autonomy (2) The right to marry is fundamental because it supports a two person union unlike any other in its importance to the committed individuals, (3) Marriage safeguards children and families and draws meaning from related rights of child bearing, procreation and education, and (4) Marriage is a keystone of our social order. I think nearly everyone would agree with these statements. The issue as I understand it, is as Judge John Roberts stated in his opposing opinion: “Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be.” Justice Clarence Thomas said in his opposing opinion that “Liberty has long been understood as individual freedom from governmental action, not as a right to a particular governmental entitlement.” As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I uphold the counsel in The Family: A Proclamation to The World in that “We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.” It is our duty to speak up in kindness and open-mindedness so families in generations to come can enjoy the freedom and opportunity that our great country offers.
No comments:
Post a Comment